OHSAS 18001 to ISO 45001:2018 Transition Deadline
Time is running out to convert your Health and Safety System from OHSAS 18001 to ISO 45001:2018.
The cut off date is the 11th September 2021 when the OHSAS 18001 certificate becomes obsolete and no longer recognised.
To ensure that you are not left behind, you can arrange for QSC to carry out a Gap Analysis on your current Health and Safety System and agree an ‘action plan’ to bring your system in line with the ISO requirements.
Key differences are:
- ISO 45001:2018 is structured in accordance Annex SL which allows greater integration with other ISO Standards such as ISO 9001:2015 and/or 14001:2015 .
- Greater focus on risk management which requires businesses to proactively identify sources or situations that have the potential to cause harm.
- Risk and opportunities should have controls or mitigation identified to reduce risks and achieve opportunities.
- Greater leadership involvement and responsibility. Top management should make Health and Safety a priority within the business including allocating resources, setting and reviewing targets and objectives and be seen to be driving the Health and Safety systems. They are responsible for the management system and are personally accountable for the success or failure.
- ISO 45001 also calls for consultation and participation of non-managerial workers. This means workers are involved with accident or incident investigations, making suggestions for improvement, have representation at health and safety committee meetings etc. They are also expected to report on Health or Safety incidents or concerns.
- Training requirements and the effectiveness of the training is a requirement which should be discussed by the workers and fed back into the business.
- Greater emphasis is placed on the selection and control of sub-contractors whilst working for the company.
Achieving ISO 9001 involves a logical steps starting with a review of the standard against the system you are currently operating and noting strengths and weaknesses. We can help you review this area to build a program of improvements to meet the requirements of ISO 9001:2015.
Achieving ISO14001 does not have to be hard work. With the right approach and with top management commitment we can guide you every step of the way to ensure that your procedures are fully compatible with the requirements of the standard.
QSC Consultancy can offer a full Health & Safety System compliant with ISO 45001 the Occupational Health & Safety Management System. This system will assist you in managing Health & Safety Risks and facilitate legal compliance.
Quality Systems Consultancy
Quality Systems Consultancy Ltd